On May 5, 1862, the Mexican army defeated French forces at the Battle of Puebla, thus ensuring every American’s right to get wasted and eat tacos on that day henceforth.
OK, maybe there’s a lot more to it than that. Before you dive in to that first margarita (or maybe while you drink the first one), check out this short but informative article that Time Magazine ran last year: The Surprising True History Behind Cinco de Mayo. Then fire up the blender (and this playlist).
1. The Crystal Frontier – Calexico
2. Mexico – Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
3. Sabor a Mi – Los Panchos
4. Tico Tico – Grant Green
5. Baby Let’s Go to Mexico – Doug Sahm
6. Ou Es-Tu, Mon Amour? – Willie Nelson
7. El Matador – Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
8. The Sun Belongs to You – Giant Giant Sand
9. All the Pretty Horses – Friends of Dean Martinez
10. Mexicali Blues – The Grateful Dead