Wardrobe malfunctions and Prince’s mind-bending performance aside, Super Bowl halftime shows tend to be fairly boring. Even a solid performance still ends up feeling forced and lackluster with the spectacle overpowering the music. A medley of songs, a bevy of backup dancers and a surprise guest are all standard parts of the performance script. Lady Gaga is sure to up the ante this year, but I’d still rather spend halftime taking a TV break.
Here’s what I’ll be listening to.
1. One Step Beyond – Madness
2. Blitzkrieg Bop – The Ramones
3. Heroes – David Bowie
4> What’d I say (Part I and II) – Ray Charles
5. Stuck Between Stations – The Hold Steady
6. How Many More Years – Howlin’ Wolf
7. Can I Kick it? – A Tribe Called Quest
8. I’m Ready – Fats Domino
9. Ring of Fire – Johnny Cash
10. I Fought the Law – The Clash